Wednesday, October 25, 2006

One Counter-Cultural CEO...We Need More...

Today, I was reading on Fox News on-line and saw an interesting interview in the economic news section. The CEO of JetBlue airline, David Neeleman, was speaking on one of the shows( I can't keep the different personalities separate in my mind since I only read the articles on-line and don't actually watch them) about how he donates his entire salary to his company's crisis management fund, which apparently helps out victims and families of victims of accidents related to the airline, and refuses to take stock options as part of his payment. In fact, his salary is only $200,000 per year, which sounds like a lot but isn't considering his position and that he is being successful.

Now, Mr. Neeleman is quite wealthy and probably doesn't miss the money he donates, but the example is stunningly different than the majority of businesspeople. It seems that the news has been full of businesspeople being indicted for crimes committed through their power and position as heads of companies, and the majority seem to be fleacing their own workers.

As I read the New Testament accounts of Jesus teaching on money and wealth, I am somewhat uncomfortable with those who would horde wealth and even more so with those who would gladly step on others for more. It seems that we need more CEOs who are willing to be satisfied with what they have and to view their positions of power and wealth as platforms for working good for others.

2 comments:

Lydia said...

If any wealthy businessman is convicted and wants to unload his wealth, I'm right here!! :)

That is a good thing that Neeleman is doing. It's sad that there are so few examples of that. People don't understand that more doesn't mean better, or happier, or anything...it's just more.

Leanna said...

As one who is saving for a house, I am happy to stuff my little salary away for that big day. But at the same time, I get frustrated because I "want" the newest and greatest, whether it's a car or a coat.

I can imagine the pressures these CEOs are feeling and how hard it must be for them with the pressures of wealth. But I hope others arise like Mr. JetBlue and see the good it can do. A new Corvette for one may mean a college education and a new life for another...

Something to think about when Lydia and I are driving around in our shiny red Vetts!