Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Movie Review - United 93

Well, my lovely wife is away for a couple of days at one of her company's marketing meetings. So, I got the chance to borrow a movie from the video store that I wouldn't normally get to see. She has higher standards with regard to violence and movie rating than I do.

As I looked through the store, I saw a few items, but what caught my attention the most was United 93, a movie about the events of September 11, 2001, especially what happened aboard that one flight.

Several things are worthy of note. First, this movie brought back to me most of the emotions and thoughts I had sitting in my apartment that day, watching these events unfold from a very different vantage point. That is enough, I think, for me to say that this is a good movie. Any time a movie can bring a person back to a real world event, it is powerful.

Second, the movie makes clear just how confusing and unprecedented the attack was. I realize that the makers used large amounts of license, but the waves of confusion the air traffic controllers and military personnel were getting hit with as the different planes were taken over and smashed into their targets must have really happened on some level. Also, the disbelief and complete lack of a plan to do anything about this sort of attack seemed real.

Third, there was a powerful moment near the end that really puts the entire conflict between Islam and the West (here I'm using a higher definition for our culture, and I am including our common Christian heritage, even if that is no longer dominant - it could definitely be argued that I'm wrong to use it so) into perspective. There is a moment, right before the passengers are about to try to retake the plane, where they start saying together the Lord's Prayer. At the same time, the camera cuts away to the terrorists aboard, who are praying in Arabic to Allah, and to the several bloody, dead bodies they have already killed in taking the plane. I know that there are issues relating to those attacks that are extremely complicated, but this is simple. In that snapshot, you can see what is wrong with Islam and what is right with Christianity.

I definitely recommend that you see this movie. There are no big stars in it, and you will probably find yourself feeling quite sad at the memories, but the courage those people displayed deserves to be remembered and respected.

3 comments:

Lydia said...

I'm glad you got to watch it. Maybe I will, too, only then you'd have to watch it twice! Maybe today you could watch X-Men 3 or some war movie. :)

Anonymous said...

We saw this, too, and felt the same as you about it. I would recommend this movie, but it is not an easy one to watch.

KarenD said...

I find myself watching movies more for an escape. I am not drawn to this type of movie that forces me to relive a very dark moment in our nation's recent history. I do see the value of remembering and honoring those who acted bravely and those who did all they could to help even when all hopes of a "plan" goes out the window. But now that I have a recommendation for this movie, maybe I will watch it. (I have often skipped over this movie and others similar because I just felt it was too soon.)